Monday, October 25, 2004

 

Abysmal

I could sit at my computer during the World Series games and document all the moronic, annoying, and or overdramatic comments made by Joe and Tim, but then I would become a hateful little man, rather than a guy rooting on his team in the World Series for only the second time in his life.

So I won't say anything about it.

Except this:

Joe Buck needs to talk less. I didn't think it was possible that a baseball announcer on television could actually talk more than Michael Kay. But I am actually longing for Michael Kay and his "made for radio" announcing style. At least most of his overtalking is about what's going on in the field. Buck finds the need to set up every situation in ridiculous detail and prose, then describe it as it happens, then give a recap, and then bring it up again an inning later. He is his own color analyst, sideline reporter, and studio host.

For some reason, my SAP button was not taking me to the Spanish audio last night, but let me give you a hint. If Joe Buck ever says the words, "I think we take for granted that our audience is aware of the..." please do yourself a favor and hit mute right away. And don't hit it again until the inning is over. Because he is about to tell you a story that you have heard 37 times before. During the ALCS, it would be about A-Rod and how he was almost a Red Sox, or Babe Ruth, or Bucky Dent, or the brawl in June, or Aaron Boone, or how Clemens and Pettite are gone, or the entire history of the rivalry.

Last night, it was the story of Curt Schilling's ankle. Joe, not only did we hear about this for 2 hours last week when you wouldn't shut up about it, and not only has it been beaten to death by the press and sports TV, but you talked about it all pre-game show. So please, continue to take it for granted, because we already know.

Also I'm sure I was not the only person yelling at the TV for Joe to shut up when in the 6th inning he was talking as if the Sox had won the World Series already. If there is any team that you should wait until the final out before talking like that, it is the Red Sox. So please. Stop.

I don't have much to say about Tim McCarver, except I am not looking forward to game 3, because he obviously hates Pedro and I'm sure we will hear about what a punk he is for 3 hours. But the parallels between McCarver and Summerall are easily drawn, and I will leave it at that.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise