Friday, November 05, 2004

 

AL Awards - Sox can take consolation

I can think of at least 3 AL players for whom fans were chanting "M-V-P" during the playoffs. Only one of them probably deserves it, and I can think of one of them who really is a longshot - but then again he's already won a World Series MVP this year.

My fictional MVP ballot, in case anyone cares.

1. Gary Sheffield - carried the team to homefield advantage. Surprisingly, Yankees have almost never won MVP's since Berra and Mantle.
2. Vladimir Guerrero - his late season heroics will probably win him the MVP, but I'm tired of the West Division MVP bias (see Gonzalez, Juan; Rodriguez, Ivan; Tejada, Miguel; Ichiro)
3. Manny Ramirez - Even his defense was stepped up this year
4. Miguel Tejada - I really hate this guy, but he had another amazing year
5. Johan Santana - You could even see it in the playoffs, where would this team have been without him?
6. Hideki Matsui - Reason #2 the Yankees got homefield advantage...or you thought it was their pitching?
7. David Ortiz - Who's your Papi?
8. Alex Rodriguez - By Win Shares, he's actually #2, but watching this guy all year I don't believe it.
9. Travis Hafner - What a hitter this guy turned into, and Cleveland did much better than expected.
10. Johnny Damon - I could have given this to Teixeira or Ichiro, but hey I'm a Sox homer, what can I say?

Cy Young

1. Johan Santana - see above
2. Curt Schilling - remember, they vote before the playoffs
3. Ryan Drese - very good year in a hitter's park, and who else deserves it more - Rivera? Buerhle? They should just cut the voting off at 2 this year.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise