Wednesday, November 03, 2004

 

Failure to make tables

I will learn how to make tables with blogger eventually (hopefully), but I was making an error so that the table looked OK, but there were some random lines up top and it was messing up the alignment of the whole page.

Seeing as I have no HTML knowledge, I suppose it isn't that surprising that I couldn't do it.

Anyway, I wanted to compare the NL Gold Gloves announced today with fielding win shares. Win shares aren't perfect for fielding, and they might not even be the best way to compare fielders, but nobody is perfect and I don't feel like introducing tons of different stats that we don't really understand, so I'll stick with those.

Anyway, surprisingly, by win shares, the voters did really well. All of the players were in the top 3 in their position, with the voters nailing Todd Helton, Andruw Jones, and Jim Edmonds, while doing well with others (although Brian Schneider, Jeff Kent, Adrian Beltre, Jack Wilson might disagree).

Did I say all? I meant all but one, as Steve Finley got a gold glove on reputation: he was ranked 27th in fielding Win Shares among NL outfielders this year. Corey Patterson was robbed, but over 20 other outfielders could make a good claim that they were more deserving than Steve Finley, including Sammy Sosa!

That being said, the voters did well, with 3 dead-on, and 4 others right there. I'd be shocked if the AL results were as close to what Win Shares tell us.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise