Tuesday, November 09, 2004

 

A Very Long Engagement

While this could refer to my own life, it is in reference to a movie that will be released around Christmas-time, but that my fiancee took me to see last night (for free). We also got to sit in on a Q&A with the film's star, Audrey Tautou, of "Amelie" fame.

The movie is getting some Oscar buzz, not in the best foreign film category, but in the best film category. Now, I haven't seen any movies this year that I would say should be nominated for best picture, but to be honest I'd be a bit surprised if this movie is in that category, based on previous years. I wouldn't be surprised if Mme. Tautou is nominated for best actress, as it was a strong performance.

Overall, this is a movie that I would recommend to my mom, but not to my dad. And I would recommend it to a friend as a date movie, because unlike chick flicks like "Alfie," this has explosions, and it isn't trite or predictable. It's original, it's well put together, but at the same time I didn't walk out thinking that I had just seen a great movie, just a really good one.

I'm sure critics will be gushing over this movie, as it is "artsy", it is French with subtitles, it has some big war scenes to go with an unwinding mystery, and it has a talented, rising actress and director involved.

On a ten point scale I'd give it a 7.4.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise