Monday, November 08, 2004

 

"World" Series

One of my British colleagues asked me why it's called the World Series if it's only teams from the US. My explanation didn't really get that far, but here's some more evidence for next time that subject comes up:

Even David Ortiz was amazed by this home run: a 514-foot shot that hit the lights down the right-field line.
"I knew when I hit it that I got all of it," the Boston Red Sox slugger said after the major league All-Stars beat the Japanese stars 5-3 Saturday night in Game 2 of their series. "I thought for a second that it might land in the Dominican [Republic]."
Manager Bruce Bochy of the Padres said it was the longest home run he had ever seen in all his years in baseball.
Ortiz, who helped power the Red Sox to a World Series title last month, led his touring team to a 7-2 victory in Friday's opener. A day later, he drew gasps from the Tokyo Dome crowd of 52,000 with his solo homer in the bottom of the fourth off starter Shunsuke Watanabe.
"It felt like he hit that ball almost twice the length of the stadium," said Chiba Lotte Marines submariner Watanabe, who gave up six hits and three runs in five innings of work. "You can't make any mistakes against these guys."


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Listed on Blogwise